The development, optimisation and testing of innovative data fusion algorithms constitute a pivotal segment of the scientific effort of the AURORA project, both in terms of background knowledge, as well as a major prompt to the synergistic exploitation of information associated to multiple measurement sources onboard the atmospheric Sentinel missions of Copernicus.
The research activities carried out at IFAC-CNR in the last decade posed important premises to the investigation of data fusion strategies suitable to the ultimate goal of operational use in combination with data assimilation systems.
A number of theoretical studies for the definition of new methods of data fusion and for evaluation of their properties was conducted along with demonstration of their capabilities and evaluation of performance based on the use of synthetic data and real measurement products.
A comprehensive list of publications reporting the key results obtained from these studies is provided here below, with access to the individual articles:
- S. Ceccherini, P. Raspollini and B. Carli, Optimal use of the information provided by indirect measurements of atmospheric vertical profiles, Optics Express, Vol. 17, Iss. 7, 4944-4958 (2009).
- S. Ceccherini, B. Carli, U. Cortesi, S. Del Bianco and P. Raspollini, Retrieval of the vertical column of an atmospheric constituent from data fusion of remote sensing measurements, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 111, 507-514 (2010), doi: 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2009.09.001
- S. Ceccherini, U. Cortesi, S. Del Bianco, P. Raspollini and B. Carli, IASI-METOP and MIPAS-ENVISAT data fusion, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 4689-4698 (2010).
- S. Ceccherini, B. Carli and P. Raspollini, Equivalence of data fusion and simultaneous retrieval, Optics Express, Vol. 23, Iss. 7, 8476-8488 (2015), doi: 10.1364/OE.23.008476
- S. Ceccherini, B. Carli and P. Raspollini, Vertical grid of retrieved atmospheric profiles, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 174, 7-13 (2016), doi: 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2016.01.018
- U. Cortesi, S. Del Bianco, S. Ceccherini, M. Gai, B. M. Dinelli, E. Castelli, H. Oelhaf, W. Woiwode, M. Höpfner and D. Gerber, Synergy between middle infrared and millimeter-wave limb sounding of atmospheric temperature and minor constituents, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 9, 2267-2289 (2016), doi:10.5194/amt-9-2267-2016
- S. Ceccherini, Equivalence of measurement space solution data fusion and complete fusion, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 182, 71-74 (2016), doi: 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2016.05.019